Try this healthy buffalo chicken dip for a lightened-up version of the original appetizer. It’s made with hummus and has a delicious smoky flavor that goes great with crackers, chips, and veggies.
Whether you are hosting a tailgating party or need to bring a dish to a get-together, this buffalo hummus dip is going to be a hit!
Is Buffalo Chicken Dip Healthy?
It is totally possible to make a buffalo chicken dip that is healthy AND delicious, and today I’m about to show just how easy it is to do. It’s true that most buffalo dip recipes are loaded with cream cheese, even more cheese, and a generous amount of ranch dressing, but in this recipe, the cream cheese and ranch are replaced with hummus to lighten things up. This healthy dip is rich in flavor and has a delightfully creamy texture without piling on the sodium and saturated fats.
My Buffalo Chicken Dip also has just enough blue cheese sprinkled on top to give this dish all the flavors of buffalo wings in a smoky, spreadable dip. After one bite, you’ll be hooked.
Crazy about buffalo flavors? I’ve got a slow cooker buffalo chicken recipe with different ways to turn it into incredible weeknight dinners.
How many calories are in Buffalo Chicken Dip?
This buffalo chicken dip provides 173 calories, 12 grams of protein, 5 grams of net carbs, and 10 grams of fat per ¼ cup serving. It’s certainly a healthier way to enjoy buffalo dip, and so good you can expect it to be the first thing to disappear at any get-together or party.
It’s the perfect gameday recipe and one your family and friends will ask you for the recipe!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
Who knew such a delicious combination of smoky, bold flavor could come from only 4 ingredients! Here’s everything you need to make this epic hummus buffalo chicken dip:
- classic hummus: use store-bought or homemade hummus both work great.
- shredded chicken: this is where a rotisserie chicken or leftover baked chicken comes in handy. You’ll need about 1 cup shredded.
- buffalo hot sauce: I have a homemade recipe for buffalo sauce that’s out of this world, but you can also use your favorite bottled sauce.
- crumbled blue cheese: gives the dip that extra bite and tang. Don’t like blue cheese? Swap it for feta.
I also use this ‘hummus trick’ to make an epic spinach dip that’s lower in calories and added fats but no less delicious than the original recipe. So good.
If you follow this blog, you know we are huge Sabra hummus fans. Their hummus is like my favorite coffee shop, delicious and consistent every time. I’m adventurous with my recipes but I prefer consistency in my ingredients. That’s why I always grab sabra hummus, when I’m not making my own.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
In less than 10 minutes of prep and a little love in the oven, you’ll have an addictively delicious dip that will be the center of attention wherever you serve it.
Preheat the oven to 375F and lightly grease a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
To the dish, add the shredded chicken. Top with the hummus, buffalo sauce, and half the blue cheese and stir thoroughly to combine.
Top the mixture with the remaining blue cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the hummus is hot.
Watch it come together like magic is this quick recipe video!
What to Dip!
Curious about what you can serve with this amazing dip? Here are a few of my favorite ingredients that pair great with this recipe:
- pita wedges
- pretzel chips
- tortilla chips
- baby carrots
- sliced bell pepper
Making Buffalo Chicken Dip Ahead
If you plan on serving this for a party, you can save yourself some time by prepping it the night before. To do this, you will combine the chicken, hummus, sauce, and cheese in the baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
Before the guests show up, remove the plastic wrap and pop it in the oven, and bake until golden and cheesy!
Serving this is also a cinch. Once you remove the baking dish from the oven, allow it to cool down enough so that you can touch the baking dish without oven mitts. This way, your guests can enjoy it directly from the pan with their choice of veggies, crackers, and snacks.
How to Store Leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip
In the rare occasion that you have leftover dip, transfer the remainders to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Before serving, microwave it for 30 seconds or until the cheese re-melts, and the dip is hot.
Buffalo Chicken Hummus Dip
- 16 ounces classic sabra hummus
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup buffalo hot sauce
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Celery, carrots, and pita wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375F and lightly grease a 9 × 9-inch baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- On a flat surface, shred the cooked chicken between 2 forks and transfer it to the baking dish.
- Add the hummus, buffalo sauce, and half of the crumbled blue cheese to the chicken and stir until the buffalo sauce is incorporated. Top with remaining blue cheese crumbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese, is melted and the hummus is hot. Remove from oven and serve hot with pita wedges and veggies.