Get ready to welcome your newest must-have waffle recipe: these Cheddar Bacon Waffles! They are crispy on the outside, fluffy and delicious inside with irresistible bursts of cheesy bacon goodness in every bite!
You can easily make these homemade savory waffles and treat yourself or surprise your family and friends. Everyone will be amazed that these were created right in your kitchen!
Bacon Waffles with Cheddar
Savory waffles are delicious. Some people prefer waffles drizzled in syrup and powdered sugar, while others crave that combination of sweet and salty.
The great thing about making these cheesy waffles with bacon is that you really don’t have to add anything else to the waffles at all.
The outer crunch of the waffle leads straight into the saltiness of the cheese and bacon – and let’s not forget that the middle of the waffles is also perfectly melt-in-your-mouth soft.
Dare I say that this bacon waffle recipe just might be your new favorite way to make waffles from scratch?
Can You Put Bacon in Waffles?
Absolutely! The biggest tip to remember when adding bacon is that you want it to be crumbled or chopped up very small so you get little tidbits in every bite.
Bacon crumbles should blend right into the batter with the rest of the ingredients, so when they are cooked, they are distributed throughout.
Also, if you’re cooking the bacon first, make sure that you drain off any extra grease.
Check out how to cook bacon in the microwave in this post.
Bacon Waffle Ingredients
Did I mention that the ingredients used to make these cheesy waffles are simple ingredients that you just may already have in your home?
- milk: use regular milk for best results.
- cheddar cheese: use shredded cheese for best incorporation into the batter.
- eggs: important for helping the ingredients bind together.
- butter: you can use salted or unsalted butter. If you use salted, omit the extra salt ingredient addition.
- all-purpose flour – you can also use baking flour to make the waffles extra fluffy.
- baking powder – this is needed to react with the other ingredients to make the waffles soft and fluffy.
- sugar – creates a hint of sweetness in the waffle batter.
- salt – just a tiny pinch!
- bacon – you can cook the bacon or buy cooked bacon and crumble and add it in.
Feel like something sweet instead? Try my Easy Strawberry Pancakes!
How to Make Cheddar Bacon Waffles
The recipe for bacon waffles is simple, delicious, and will have the house smelling like sweet and savory victory in no time at all.
Preheat the waffle iron.
- Mix the ingredients
In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add in the melted butter, eggs, and milk, and combine. Once the batter is mixed, add the grated Cheddar cheese and most of the bacon crumbles, reserving some for serving. Fold in the ingredients until they are incorporated evenly into the batter.
- Pour onto the waffle iron
Once the batter is ready and the waffle iron is hot, pour enough batter to fill the cavity (amount will vary by waffle iron) and close. Cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Add toppings and enjoy
Serve immediately topped with a little butter, additional shredded Cheddar, bacon crumbles, and maple syrup.
Ready to make these savory waffles? Cook them with me and my youngest son using this quick recipe video.
Cheddar Bacon Waffle Toppings
Don’t forget the toppings. The best part about not having to share a waffle is that you get to add your own toppings!
Some waffle topping options are:
- shredded cheese
- bacon crumbles
- maple syrup
- Homemade Pancake Syrup
- fresh berries
And honestly, anything else that will be a hit with your tastebuds! Have fun – they’re your waffles to top!
Cheddar Bacon Waffles
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add in the melted butter, eggs, and milk, and combine. Once the batter is mixed, add the grated Cheddar cheese and most of the bacon crumbles, reserving some for serving. Fold in the ingredients until they are incorporated evenly into the batter.
- Once the batter is ready and the waffle iron is hot, pour enough batter to fill the cavity (amount will vary by waffle iron) and close. Cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Serve immediately topped with a little butter, additional shredded Cheddar, bacon crumbles, and maple syrup.