Jul 11, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Have a ripe avocado you’d like to use up? Let’s turn it into this chicken salad stuffed avocado.
It’s a great low-carb lunch that doesn’t involve another bowl of lettuce, and I’ll show you how to pack it for work, so the avocado doesn’t brown.
Healthy Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocado
This chicken salad stuffed avocado makes a quick and healthy lunch idea you can take to the office.
Avocados are high in fiber and contain omega-3 fatty acids, combine that with my lightened-up chicken salad which is high in protein and this is a lunch that tastes great and is good for you!
If you love this recipe so far, definitely give it a try, along with my Egg Salad Stuffed Avocado. I even have a hummus stuffed avocado for all my hummus lovers.
Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocado Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make the chicken salad stuffed avocado and turn it into a balanced meal.
- Shredded chicken: you’ll need about 3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken or leftovers.
- Celery: gives the salad a nice crunchy texture
- Lemon juice: brightens the flavors of the salad.
- Mayonnaise or Greek yogurt: either option will add a creamy texture.
- Creole seasoning: gives this recipe a little kick of spice. Make your own Creole seasoning blend, or use poultry seasoning instead.
- Salt & pepper: these two go a long way!
- Avocado: make sure your avocado is ripe!
- Tomato: chopped and sprinkled over the chicken salad for an optional topping.
If you wish to keep this lunch low-carb, pack it with extra veggies and fresh berries like I do, or add your favorite whole-grain crackers.
Want more fresh and delicious lunch ideas you can bring to the office? Grab them right here:
101 Packed Lunches eBook
All my best lunches from over a decade of creating meal plans. Add some variety to your office lunches with these epic recipes, plus receive my Pack Meals Like a Pro ebook, free with purchase!
How to Make a Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocado
This chicken salad stuffed avocado is a super quick meal you can assemble and pack in the morning. Save yourself some time and prepare the chicken salad the day before.
- Prep the chicken
Place the chicken into a food processor and pulse a few times to chop roughly. Pulse for 30 seconds until the chicken is finely chopped.
- Make the salad
In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise or Greek yogurt, Creole seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine. Fold in the chicken and chopped celery and blend well.
- Halve the avocado
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a pairing knife to score the center.
- Fill it up
Use a large spoon to scoop a generous portion of the salad into each avocado, covering the entire surface.
- Assemble the lunchbox
Place 1 to 2 avocado halves into a compartmentalized lunch container adding your choice of snacks into separate compartments. Pack the container into a lunch bag with an ice pack.
Watch this quick video to see how this stuffed avocado is made along with other chicken salad lunch ideas.
TIP: The chicken salad recipe below makes enough for 6 servings. If you are making this stuffed avocado for 1, you can refrigerate the rest of the salad in an airtight container and assemble a fresh avocado each morning or use it to make sandwiches and wraps.
How to Keep a Stuffed Avocado Fresh for Lunch
To keep your stuffed avocado looking fresh, brush the exposed surface with a little lemon juice before filling it with the salad. You could also cover the entire surface of the avocado with chicken salad- no browning and more salad for you. It’s a win-win.
Healthy Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocado
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 lemon juiced
- ⅓ – ½ cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 avocados
- Small tomato chopped, optional
- Place the chicken meat into a food processor and pulse a few times to roughly chop. Continue pulsing for about 30 seconds until the chicken is finely chopped. If you turn “on” the food processor, your chicken will become a “paste”.
- In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning, and blend well. Add the chicken salad and chopped celery, and fold to combine.
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Use a pairing knife to score the avocado or cut the center from top to bottom and crosswise without piercing the skin.
- Scoop a portion of chicken salad into each avocado, covering the entire surface. Top with chopped tomato, if using.
- Place 1 half into a compartmentalized lunch container and pack your choice of snacks into the empty compartments. Close the containers and pack them into lunch bags with an ice pack.
- Refrigerate the remaining chicken salad in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Leave a Reply