Hectic weeknights call for easy and delicious dinners. This Sausage & Pepper Creole Alfredo will rock your dinner-world. It’s super easy to make, satisfying, and it can be made gluten free and grain free if needed. What else could be better than that? A big bowl of it of course!
Last week, I went to New York and was gone for 5 days. That means, that upon my return, there are a lot of things that need to be done (both at home and in the office). This week, I am just trying to get back into the routine of things and making “winner” family meals. I hate to admit it but I am not in the mood to fight at the dinner table.
Dinner time is chaotic at my house. I am organized when it comes to food purchasing, making shopping lists, developing recipes, and making our school/work lunches… but not when it comes to dinner. I am dinner averse. The whole process is overwhelming and preparedness is key. Therefore, anytime I make a recipe that scores major points with the family it goes in my “winner” file (you’ll see most of them posted on this blog and more to come).
Of course, if I find a recipe that has family appeal, can be made gluten and grain free… that is a bonus! I usually steam or sauté 1-2 zucchinis on the side, add a scoop of the sauce and sausage towards the end, and make my own grain free version of the same exact dish everyone else is eating.
I’ve also given up on boiling regular and gluten free pasta. I’ve found a gluten free pasta the entire family tolerates and I am going with that. Pasta is pasta, and the only time I make a regular version now is if my son isn’t around or my daughter wants raviolis.
Anyways…. back to the recipe. My southern husband says it has all the creamy goodness of Alfredo plus the flavors of New Orleans. So… if he says it has all that… it’s good. The only ingredient you’ll need that is brand specific is Big and Zesty. That stuff is amazing. No, Zatarains is not paying me or sponsoring this post but we love that stuff. It’s amazing on everything! I buy it in bulk on Amazon and share it with my friends since it can be tough to find at the grocery.
Creamy Sausage & Pepper Alfredo
This is a creamy and hearty dinner that comes together in 30 minutes or less!
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: dinner
- 1 12oz package mini rotini pasta (see notes for gluten free and grain free options)
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound smoked sausage or andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Big and Zesty Creole Seasoning or any other creole seasoning, optional (omit salt if using)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Remove from heat, drain reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water, and set aside.
- Heat oil inlarge skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion to skillet; cook and stir 2 minutes or until tender. Add heavy cream and creole seasoning (optional) and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in, set over medium-high heat along with the reserved cooking liquid. Add the veggie butter-cream mixture, sausage, and half of the Parmesan and toss to combine thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
I’ve made this numerous times with gluten free pasta. Delicious! For a grain free option, omit pasta, and use 6 peeled, diced, and cooked zucchinis.