Super fluffy chocolate chips waffles with crisp edges coming your way. This recipe is a cinch to whip up and cook in your waffle iron for a epic breakfast.
Top these with homemade syrup or whipped cream and extra chocolate chips – you really can’t go wrong!
Most mornings are super busy at my house. I have a handful of go-to breakfast recipes that I can make blindfolded while getting the kids out of bed, dressed, and out of the door.
A solid meal plan for the week and prepping ahead go a long way to keep fresh dinners on the table, but sometimes you need a little something extra to get the rest of the family motivated for breakfast. In this case, its stirring chocolate chips into waffle batter and cooking batch after batch of golden brown waffles. The best way to wake up a house.
Waffles with Chocolate Chips
If a fluffy waffle with golden, crispy edges wasn’t epic enough already, add melted chocolate chips to the mix and it’s heavenly. And this recipe is simple because everything is whisked together in one bowl and cooked in a preheated waffle iron.
These make a great weekend breakfast or something you can make ahead and freeze for busy weekday mornings. Having a homemade premade waffle mix on hand also cuts down on time and gets breakfast on the table faster.
Chocolate Chip Waffle Ingredients
Another delicious breakfast made entirely with pantry staples- I think that’s why waffles and pancakes are a weekend go-to! You’ll find the ingredient measurements at the end of the post, but first, check what you need to make these happen:
- Eggs: to bind the ingredients.
- Vanilla extract: yes, everything is tastier with vanilla!
- Milk: your favorite regular or non-dairy milk.
- Butter: you can swap it for vegetable oil to make the waffles dairy-free.
- All-purpose flour: or 1:1 gluten-free flour. If you want to use oat flour, check the details below.
- White sugar: optional for extra sweetness.
- Baking powder: to get fluffy waffles, make sure it’s fresh!
- Salt: enhance all the other delicious flavors.
- Chocolate chips: to turn classic waffles into the most epic ones!
Try Next: classic buttermilk waffles
How to Make Chocolate Chip Waffles
This chocolate chip waffles recipe will yield 6 large, square waffles. Aside from the ingredients, you’ll also need a large mixing bowl, whisk, waffle iron, and cooking spray.
- Combine the wet ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and the vanilla until smooth. Add the milk and butter, and whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients
Add the flour, sugar (if using), baking powder, and salt. Mix until you have a smooth batter and there are no clumps. Make sure you don’t overmix.
- Toss in the chocolate
Add the chocolate chips, and stir to combine.
- Make the waffles
Preheat your waffle iron and coat with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Remove and serve hot with butter and syrup.
If you’re a fellow chocolate lover, these Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes also really hit the spot! Made with cocoa powder and chocolate chips, it’s rich, not overly sweet, and delicious all by themselves.
How to Make These Waffles Gluten Free
On the other hand, oat flour is heartier and gives the waffles a nutty flavor and crisper edges. If you want to use oat flour, you’ll need to reduce the amount of flour by 2 tablespoons.
In the video, you watch how I make these Chocolate Chip Waffles with oats and gluten-free flour.
Chocolate Chip Waffle Toppings
Since these waffles have bits of melted chocolate chips, syrup may not be for everyone but there are more ways to top these without them being overly sweet:
- Peanut or almond butter
- Sliced bananas
- Whipped cream
- One of these homemade syrups
This is only a small list, but if you want more ideas, here are A LOT more ways to top your pancakes and waffles.
How to Freeze Chocolate Chip Waffles
Freezing waffles gives you all the convenience of the store-bought version but MUCH better and bigger waffles. Plus, they’re easy to reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.
Once the waffles are cooked, allow them to cool down to room temperature, and then place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours. Once frozen, transfer the waffles to a freezer-safe bag or container and label it with a permanent marker.
For reheating, place the waffles in the microwave, toaster, or oven. Top with butter and maple syrup, and enjoy!
What are your favorite waffles to make at home?
Best Chocolate Chip Waffles
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and the vanilla. If you want to use a hand mixer to make them airy, the waffles will have a lighter texture.
- Add the milk and butter, and whisk to combine. Add the flour, sugar (if using), baking powder, and salt. Mix until you have a smooth batter and there are no clumps but do not overmix.
- Add the chocolate chips, and mix to combine.
- Preheat your waffle iron and spray (if needed). Pour batter into the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Remove and serve hot with butter and syrup or desired toppings.