When you want tacos for breakfast and are short on time, these scrambled egg tacos always hit the spot!
You can keep it simple or top these tacos with a little cheese and salsa verde for the ultimate taco-lovers breakfast with minimal effort.
Breakfast Tacos with Scrambled Eggs
Scrambled egg breakfast tacos (a.k.a Huevos Verdes) are delicious breakfast tacos consisting of scrambled eggs, salsa verde, and cheese stuffed in a warm tortilla.
It’s the perfect hand-held breakfast that’s easy to make and quick to eat! Plus, you can always take it up a notch by adding a drizzle of cilantro lime sauce.
Whether you make these breakfast tacos with just eggs or add other ingredients to elevate the experience, it’s always a great idea to eat tacos. I should know, I have a book on tacos!
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook
These recipes will make every taco night the most exciting meal of your week! Eat great tacos, at home.
Grab your copy today!
Incredible breakfast tacos you can make with simple ingredients? Yes, please! Here is what you’ll need:
- Oil or spray: it’s to scramble the eggs.
- Eggs: are the staple of this recipe.
- Shredded cheese: any shredded cheese will work!
- Tortillas: corn or flour tortillas. Make sure to warm them up first, so they’re nice and soft.
- Salsa verde: I recommend salsa verde, but you can use fresh salsa or pico de gallo.
- Cilantro Lime Dressing: a delicious concoction you can whip up in a blender with sour cream, cilantro, and fresh lime -totally optional but helping you up the game here.
*You’ll find the full ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Make Breakfast Tacos with Salsa Verde
Grab your favorite non-stick skillet, and let’s make these scrambled egg tacos happen!
Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until combined. Prepare the Cilantro Lime Dressing in a blender if using.
It’s as easy as it sounds. Grab a non-stick pan and cook those eggs! Add the cheese while cooking if you want it to melt into the egg mixture or after to be able to taste and find it.
Warm the tortillas in the microwave or oven, and top with scrambled eggs, salsa verde, Cilantro Lime Dressing, and more cheese. Fold and enjoy!
Watch how to make Huevos Verdes step-by-step!
Homemade Salsa Verde
Salsa verde sauce is sweet, a bit tangy and highly versatile in use. It’s made from tomatillos, those little green tomatoes wrapped in a brown husk you find at the grocery store and make you wonder what purpose they serve. Well here, you’ve found it!
To make this magic sauce, you’ll need to first roast the tomatillos, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, peppers, lime, and garlic before placing into a blender and blending until smooth. While some people prefer to cook their sauce stove top, roasting brings out the full flavor of the veggies and I refuse to make it any other way.
Of course, I made sure to include the recipe in my Taco Tuesday Cookbook because these breakfast tacos, nor the Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos would be complete without it. I also invented a creamy salsa verde chicken pasta for the leftovers and it’s Out. Of. This. World.
What to Serve with Scrambled Egg Tacos
There are endless combinations of ingredients you can add to your scrambled egg tacos and practically turn into a different taco. Think about adding other ingredients for a twist on the basic recipe:
- Black beans
- Sliced avocado or spicy guacamole
- Roasted peppers & onions
- Sour cream
- Crispy, crumbled bacon
Favorite Healthy Breakfast Tacos
Scrambled Egg Tacos with Cheese & Salsa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs, whisked
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
- 8 tortillas, store-bought or homemade, warmed
- Salsa verde, for topping
- Cilantro Lime Dressing or sour cream, for topping
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the eggs and scramble until almost cooked through. Add the shredded cheddar and finish cooking the eggs.
- Divide the scrambled eggs atop the corn tortillas, top with some salsa verde and cilantro-lime dressing, and finish with a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Serve immediately.