June 29, 2018
This Cajun Pasta Salad is FULL of New Orleans flavor and bonus, it can be prepared ahead of time.
There is nothing like cajun New Orleans Pasta and this recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone in your family. It’s great for lunch or dinner and comes together easily.
If you are looking for a delicious office lunch that is sure to turn heads at your workplace – this is the recipe! My husband and I have both been known to take a container of this cajun pasta salad in to work and spark some lunchbox envy among the coworkers. It’s that good.
This one has been on our weekly meal plans for both lunch and dinner and it’s a hit anytime of day.
Let’s get back to the pasta. Here’s what you need to know to make this epic dish.
Cajun Pasta Salad Ingredients
While it doesn’t have any chicken or smoked sausage like traditional Jambalaya, the flavors are similar and it will definitely satisfy your mid-day craving for New Orleans Jambalaya flavor!
If you are looking for a healthier version of traditional Jambalaya I have you covered with this Low-Carb Keto Jambalaya recipe though. So. Good.
Here is what you need to make this epic salad:
- Pasta: I like how rotini holds the sauce on this salad, but you can use any other regular or gluten-free pasta you have on hand.
- Mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt: the creamy base for the dressing.
- Creole mustard: use Grey Poupon mustard if you don’t have Creole or yellow mustard in a pinch.
- Creole seasoning: tons of flavor!
- Eggs: hard-boiled eggs chopped.
- Aromatic vegetables: bell pepper, celery, and red onion, the ‘holy trinity’ of vegetables for cajun recipes.
How Spicy is Cajun Pasta Salad?
Thanks to the Creole mustard and the Creole seasoning, this Cajun pasta salad has enough heat to wake up your tastebuds, but it’s not too spicy unless you want to add a little more heat.
How to Make Cajun Pasta Salad
Grab the ingredients, and let’s make this delicious Cajun pasta salad. It’s simple as boiling pasta and mixing!
- Cook pasta
Cook the pasta of your choice according to the package directions. When it’s ready, drain and set aside.
- Mix the dressing
In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, Creole mustard, and Creole seasoning.
- Assemble the salad
Add the pasta back into the bowl, then pile on the hard-boiled eggs, chopped bell peppers, celery, and red onion. Toss to coat everything with the creamy dressing.
Allow the pasta salad to chill in the refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve cold.
Watch this video to see just how quickly you can make a batch of this cajun pasta salad.
How to Keep Pasta Salad from Getting Soggy
To keep pasta salad from getting soggy, be sure to cook the pasta al dente – following the instructions on the back of the pasta box. This will ensure a perfect pasta texture for your salad.
How to Meal Prep New Orleans Pasta Salad
This dish makes a great pasta recipe for meal prep on busy weeks. I am known to make a whole pot of jambalaya (a traditional New Orleans dish with rice) and eat out of it all week. Or, when I leave town for a few days, I also leave a little jambalaya in the fridge. It is a go-to meal at our house in it’s traditional form with rice or cauliflower rice and now I often serve the pasta version too!
This is easy to pack up in your favorite lunch container and take to work the next day. And yes, the flavor is just as good served up the second time as it is night one.
If you looking for a quick and easy Authentic Jambalaya recipe I’ve got you covered there too. You can’t overdo it with creole goodness!
Cajun Pasta Salad
- 12 ounces rotini pasta, or your favorite
- ½ cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard*
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Once ready, drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Creole mustard, and Creole seasoning. Add the pasta back into the bowl, the hard-boiled eggs, bell peppers, celery, and red onion. Toss to coat everything with the creamy dressing.
- Refrigerate to chill for one hour and serve cold.