To microwave cauliflower rice is the quickest way to steam-cook raw cauliflower rice. There’s no need to pull out a special pan or steamer and with the tips in this post, you’ll cook it perfectly every time!
This method takes a fraction of the time of cooking cauliflower in the oven and only requires two kitchen utensils: a glass baking dish and plastic wrap. Let me show you how to make it!
Can You Microwave Cauliflower Rice?
Steaming cauliflower rice in the microwave is both easy and safe. In this method, the cauliflower rice is microwaved in a baking dish covered with plastic wrap. The plastic traps the steam and makes the rice tender.
Using the microwave makes this side dish even more convenient for busy weeknights. It’s a great low-carb swap to regular rice and a healthy way to add more veggies to your usual family meals.
How to Microwave Riced Cauliflower
Microwaving fresh cauliflower rice takes about 4 minutes, and you can use cauliflower rice made at home or a bag from the fresh produce aisle.
Here’s what to do:
- Place the cauliflower rice in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap or the dish’s lid, and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the microwave, carefully lift the lid or plastic wrap, and stir the rice with a fork.
- Cover and microwave for an additional minute, then season to your liking.
It’s important to use a microwave-safe baking dish, such as glass or porcelain. You could also use a large mixing bowl made of the same material, whatever fits easiest in the microwave.
Watch how to cook cauliflower rice using this method and others:
Can You Microwave Frozen Cauliflower?
You can also cook frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave using the same method above. The frozen grains will fully cook within 4 minutes, although they will have a softer texture.
Reheating Cauli Rice in the Microwave
Any leftover steamed cauliflower rice can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave, just like regular rice! Smaller portions will take around 2 minutes to heat through, while larger amounts (3-4 cups) will need 4 minutes.
Family Favorite Recipes Using Cauliflower Rice
Below are several family favorite recipes to try with cauliflower rice, whether it’s replacing regular rice or the star of the dish.
- Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Healthy Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya
- Salsa Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Deconstructed Egg Rolls
Looking for more healthy recipes like these to incorporate into your family’s diet? Check out the recipes and guide in the Family Kickstart Program. It’s a full 4-week meal plan made with clean recipes tailor-made for busy families.
Quick Microwave Cauliflower Rice
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- Place the cauliflower rice in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap or the baking dish lid and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, carefully lift the plastic or lid, and stir with a fork. Cover and microwave for an additional minute.
- Stir the cooked cauliflower rice and season to taste.