Combine a few basic ingredients in the blender and turn them into a smooth homemade salad dressing!
Homemade Red Wine Vinaigrette
Salads won´t be the same after you pour this smooth Red Wine Vinaigrette over them. Its deep acidic flavor pairs great with all kinds of salads, and you can make it at home in just 5 minutes!
While you can shake up all the ingredients in your salad dressing jar, I like to put them in the blender for a creamier and smooth texture. This is why the color is slightly yellow/orange, red vinegar + white from the shallots + yellow from the Dijon will yield this color.
The simple ingredients include staples like red wine vinegar, lemon, honey, oil, and a few more ingredients to make this salad dressing at home and forget about any store-bought version!
What is the Difference Between Balsamic Vinaigrette and Red Wine Vinaigrette
While both include vinegar, oil, honey, and mustard, balsamic vinaigrette is sweeter and milder in flavor since balsamic vinegar comes from unfermented grape juice, while red wine vinegar is fermented red wine.
Red wine vinegar, combined with lemon, garlic, and other ingredients, gives this dressing a deeper, sourer, stronger flavor than balsamic vinaigrettes.
This Red Wine Vinaigrette is an irresistible combination of epic flavors and textures. Plus, no fancy equipment is required!
Here´s what you need:
- Garlic clove: a yummy flavor you don´t want to omit.
- Dijon Mustard: emulsifies the vinaigrette and adds a delicious taste.
- Red wine vinegar: the star of the show!
- Lemon juice: fresh lemon juice yields better results!
- Honey: balances the tang from vinegar and Dijon.
- Salt: enhance all the flavors.
- Ground black pepper: a little goes a long way!
- Olive oil: gives the vinaigrette a nice texture to drizzle over salads.
You’ll find the measurements for this recipe in the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Red Wine Vinaigrette
You can make this vinaigrette recipe with a blender or mix everything in a jar and shake. With both methods, your salads will go from great to spectacular! Check how easy this recipe is:
Make the salad dressing by placing all ingredients, except the olive oil, inside a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the oil
With the blender running, slowly pour the olive oil into the smooth dressing until it’s emulsified -once it looks creamy. Alternatively, you can finely chop the garlic clove, combine all ingredients inside a mason jar, and shake generously.
Transfer the salad dressing into a salad dressing container or pitcher and refrigerate until ready to serve for up to a week.
Watch this video to see how it’s made quickly in the blender!
Red Wine Vinaigrette Calories and Nutrition
This recipe yields ¾ cup of red wine vinaigrette, equivalent to 12 servings. Each serving (1 tablespoon) has 94 calories, 9 grams of fat, 3 grams of sugar, 125 mg of sodium, 3 grams of carbs, and 0 cholesterol.
Best Salads for Red Wine Vinaigrette
The classic flavor of red wine vinaigrette goes well with any salad, with the Chicken Cobb (shown below) being my favorite.
Other salads to drizzle it on:
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Crispy Chicken Tender Salad
- Chicken Caprese Salad with Avocado
- Cobb Pasta Salad
- BLT Salad
Red Wine Vinaigrette for Salads
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Make the salad dressing by placing all ingredients, except the olive oil, inside a blender. Blend until smooth.
- With the blender running, slowly pour the olive oil into the smooth dressing until it’s emulsified -once it looks creamy. Alternatively, you can finely chop the garlic clove, combine all ingredients inside a mason jar, and shake generously.
- Transfer the salad dressing into a salad dressing container or pitcher and refrigerate until ready to serve for up to a week.