I had no idea what “tailgating” was until I married a Southerner. And then, I had to learn all about tailgating food. I’m quite sure it’s considered its own food group around these parts. Anything that fits in the pit is game. And then there are dips, and sauces, and chips, and well… lots of glorious food.
This roasted chicken flatbread bar is one to add to any tailgating menu. You can roast the chicken, barbecue it, even smoke it! But once it’s cooked… the food is on!
This is exactly what I envision easy entertaining food to be. Food that can be made ahead of time, needs little maintenance throughout a party, and allows the guests to customize their serving to their liking. Of course, this also makes the best mid-week family meal! Pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store and you are good to go!
I cook whole chickens nearly every week. You could say, it’s a staple in my weekly meal plan. The recipe possibilities are endless and having roasted chicken in the fridge allows me to prepare a meal in record time! I can make soups, quesadillas, tacos, pasta bakes, burrito bowls, nacho trays, and of course, I can repurpose it for lunch!
I also used one of my favorite ingredients in a non traditional way for this recipe. Hummus dressing! Whoa. I did just say hummus and dressing in the same sentence (although I’m pretty sure my 3rd grader would correct me and say it’s an incomplete sentence). Anyways, have to try it.
Since I’m a go-big or go-home type of gal, I had to make sure I didn’t serve a plan chicken flatbread to my guests. I’ve got toppings! I love using all the other awesome mediterranean flavors like Feta cheese, kalamata olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, an olive oil. I made a quick cucumber + tomato + onion salsa to give these a little crunch. There is no recipe really. Just mix cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, a little red onion in a bowl. Drizzle it with olive oil and a little of your favorite Italian seasoning. Viola! crunchy salsa.
Next time you barbecue or smoke a chicken think of this recipe. Doesn’t this flatbread look delicious? Come on, you know you wan to take a big bite!
Easy Entertaining: Roasted Chicken Flatbread Bar
This roasted chicken flatbread recipe is perfect for easy entertaining. It has all the Mediterranean flavors and a bonus hummus dressing recipe.
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Easy Meals – Family Style & Entertaining
- 1 whole smoked, barbecued, or roasted chicken, shredded
- 6 whole grain flat breads
- 10–12 whole romaine heart leaves, washed
- 6–8 ounces kalamata olives
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 batch creamy hummus dressing
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, ends cut and diced small
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dill (or Italian seasoning)
- Olive oil, drizzle
- salt, to taste
- On a flat surface, shred chicken meat using two forks. Discard bones.
- Place remaining ingredients in their own dishes in an assembly line on the table.
- To assemble: hold your flatbread on your hands or on a plate. Place romaine leaves as the base to hold your chicken. Top with olives and feta cheese, drizzle with about a tablespoon of hummus dressing.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Drizzle with a little olive oil and add a little salt to taste.
Creamy Hummus Dressing
- Yield: approx 3/4 cup 1x
- Category: Dressings & Condiments
- 1/2 cup Sabra Classic Hummus
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk hummus together with lemon juice and water; season with salt and pepper. Add an additional tablespoon of water if the dressing is too thick for your liking.
Recipe: Martha Stewart
Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post. I did receive a huge shipment of Sabra Hummus to try this fabulous recipe. All opinions are, of course, my own.