June 3, 2022
Want a delicious and flavorful side dish for all the abundant summer veggies? This recipe for roasted summer vegetables will become your go-to meal side-kick!
The roasted summer vegetables cooked down with bits of ripe tomato and fresh garlic- this, my friends, is the best way to cook your veggies. Ready to give it a try?
With summer comes an abundance of fresh produce, and if you have a garden or a friend with a garden, you know how overwhelming the numbers of zucchini, squash, and tomatoes can be.
Roasting is a genius way to cook a LOT of those veggies at once, like as many as can fit on your largest sheet pan. Just toss them with a little oil and seasonings, and the oven takes care of the rest.
Roasting Summer Veggies
Roasting summer vegetables is a clever way to turn your fresh and readily available produce into a mouthwatering dish. The oven’s heat gives squash, bell peppers, and tomatoes a delicious caramelized flavor and fork-tender texture.
Not to mention, the vibrant colors make it a gorgeous presentation at the table.
Best Summer Vegetables for Roasting
Vegetables such as squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions are widely available during the summer and make great options for roasting. Due to their high water content, they cook down quickly and absorb the flavors of whatever spice or herbs are added.
Whether you make this recipe with garden vegetables or ones you’ve purchased, below is a quick overview of the best summer veggies to roast.
- squash: mild with a slightly sweet flavor, that’s enhanced in the oven.
- zucchini: very similar to yellow squash and easily absorbs the flavors of other ingredients and seasonings.
- red onion: red onions are sweeter than regular white and yellow onions but still have a sharp taste. The oven’s heat brings out the natural sugars and makes them sweeter, almost caramelized.
- bell pepper: comes in various colors, such as red, green, orange, and yellow. Green bell pepper can be slightly bitter, while red, orange, and yellow are known to be sweet.
- tomatoes: use any tomato, such as vine, Roma, heirlooms, cherry, or grape. Tomatoes cook down in the oven and become more concentrated with tomato and garlic flavor.
- garlic: another aromatic vegetable that adds delicious flavor.
While not used in this recipe, fresh corn, trimmed green beans, and eggplant are also in season and can easily be added to the mix.
If using eggplant, make sure to cut it into similar sized pieces as the other veggies, so everything cooks simultaneously.
And when summer’s over, you can still look forward to making these fall roasted vegetables.
How to Roast Summer Vegetables
All you need to roast summer vegetables is a large sheet pan, a little oil, and your choice of seasonings. Here’s what to do:
Preheat the oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
On a large cutting board, chop the veggies into uniform shapes and sizes.
Toss the veggies with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Roast for 25 minutes or until the veggies are tender and golden brown.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and serve with your favorite chicken recipe, over pasta, or with cooked grains.
And just to show you how easy these veggies are to roast, I made a quick video:
Success Tips for Roasted Summer Veggies
To ensure your roasted summer veggies turn out perfect, here are some answers to FAQs and tips.
What Temperature is Best for Roasting Summer Vegetables
400F will cook the veggies for 25 minutes without scorching them.
Should You Boil Vegetables Before Roasting?
In most cases, there is never a need to boil vegetables before roasting, especially in the case of summer produce which is high in water content. Boiling and roasting would make them mushy and inedible.
Best Seasoning for Summer Vegetables
You can roast the vegetables with any of your favorite seasoning or herb blends. I like using my roasted vegetable seasoning or homemade Italian seasoning. There’s nothing wrong with plain ole salt and pepper, either.
A sprinkle of grated Parmesan over the cooked veggies adds depth of flavor and saltiness; that is if you’re team #AllThingsCheese.
Roasted Summer Vegetables
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the vegetables onto the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, black pepper, and minced garlic. Toss to coat the veggies and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the squash is tender, golden brown, and the onions are cooked down.