Jul 3, 2018
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
One bite of these Strawberry French Toast Roll-Ups, and you’ll be smitten!
The cinnamon-sugar coating makes them crispy on the outside, with fresh berries and whipped cream cheese in the center. Trust me, it’s an epic french toast variation your kids will love.
Around my house, pancakes and french toast are breakfast staples for my kids. However, we don’t always have time to sit down and dig into a stack of french toast. This recipe solves that problem by turning it into a portable option.
French Toast Rolls
These french toast roll-ups have all the buttery-cinnamon flavor and crispy texture of classic french toast but with the option of picking them up and dunking into maple syrup.
Instead of cooking the whole piece of bread, with the berries in a different sauce, you roll the bread flat, top with whipped cream cheese and chopped berries, roll it up, cook, and ta-da, you have strawberries and cream stuffed french toast roll-ups!
You can serve them on lazy Saturday mornings or during busy weekday mornings.
French Toast Roll Up Ingredients
To make these delicious french toast roll-ups, you will need:
- sugar: a part of the sugar-cinnamon coating on each roll-up.
- ground cinnamon: an essential spice that gives these roll-ups that classic french toast flavor.
- sandwich bread: regular sandwich bread works great!
- whipped cream cheese: spread over each slice of bread for a creamy filling.
- strawberries: chopped and topped over the cream cheese for delicious berries and cream combo.
- eggs: the egg and milk wash coats each roll-up and makes the cinnamon-sugar mixture crispy.
- milk: use regular or a non-dairy alternative.
- vanilla extract: mixed with the egg and milk to infuse each roll-up with more flavor.
- butter: makes exteriors extra crispy and delicious.
If you want to make the recipe dairy-free you could swap the cream cheese for a vegan alternative or use peanut butter, no doubt a delicious combination with the cinnamon-sugar coating and strawberries.
I have to give credit where it’s due, and that’s the half-loaf of sliced bread sitting in the pantry begging to be used -you know, when the bread doesn’t feel as soft because one of the kids left the bag open…
Of course, everyone knows that bread on the verge of going stale must be used to make french toast, so that’s exactly what I did, but tweaked it so it can be enjoyed on-the-go.
How to Make French Toast Roll-Ups
Grab those ingredients, a medium non-stick skillet, and let’s make breakfast!
- Make the cinnamon-sugar
In a small dish, combine the sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Make the egg wash
Whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth in a shallow dish.
Flatten each slice of bread with a rolling pin. Spread the cream cheese over each slice. Place 1 tablespoon of diced berries along the edge of each piece of bread and roll tightly.
- Add the finishing touches
Dip each roll into the egg mixture and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cool and cook for 3 minutes or until golden. Flip and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Time to eat
Allow the roll-ups to cool slightly before serving. Add a drizzle of maple syrup for extra goodness.
These roll-ups can also be made and frozen ahead of time.
Watch this video to see the magic happen for yourself!
After the roll-ups are cooked and cooled off, freeze them in a large, freezer-safe zip bag for up to 2 months. To cook, thaw them out at room temperature and broil in the oven for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully, so they don’t burn.
If you love this portable french toast you can make ahead, check out my Cinnamon French Toast Sticks recipe. It’s way better than the frozen, store-bought option and simple to make!
Topping French Toast Roll-Ups
Top these french toast rolls-ups with classic ingredients like maple syrup and powdered sugar, or you can get more creative with the options below:
- Homemade Strawberry Syrup
- Homemade Blueberry Syrup
- natural peanut butter
- natural almond butter
- Nutella or Sunflower Nutella
Strawberry French Toast Roll-Ups
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices sandwich bread crust removed
- ¼ cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter for cooking
- In a small dish, combine the sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- On a flat surface, use a rolling pin to flatten each slice of bread. Spread the cream cheese over each slice and top with 1 tablespoon of diced berries along the edge. Tightly roll up the bread.
- Dip each roll into the egg mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- In a medium, non-stick skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Place the rolls 3 to 4 at a time in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown before flipping and cooking for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the roll-ups from the skillet and allow to cool slightly before serving.
These french toast roll-ups with strawberry is really good! I make this recipe every weekend and is a hit!
I made this and it was great. Tasted fresh and yummy! My question is when do I add the cinnamon and sugar to the rolls? I didn’t see it in the recipe so I just dumped it into my egg mixture. Not sure if that was right, but it still tasted great! Thanks
Yup! you can totally dump it in the egg mixture or sprinkle right after. Thanks for catching that! headed ot edit recipe.