Creamy, sun-dried tomato pasta with chicken… you know you want it; but let me show you why you NEED it! This is a classic fall dish, but truth be told it’s one you’re going to want to have on your menu all year long. It’s that good.
Best Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta Recipe
This time of year, where we’re short on daylight, I feel thrown off. Seriously, once the sun sets, I’m in a frantic rush to get home thinking it’s almost 8! when the truth is that it gets dark while I’m packing up my things at work.
The panic starts the second I get home and ask myself, what am I going to make for dinner?
If you’ve been silently screaming S.O.S! around dinner time, I’m glad you’re here because this sun-dried tomato chicken pasta is a restaurant-style meal that comes together faster than you can drive to a restaurant and get seated.
If you’re craving more, be sure to grab a copy of my Chicken. It’s What’s for Dinner ebook so you never run out of epic chicken recipes for busy nights!
Make Chicken Exciting to Eat Again!
If you’re tired of dry tasteless chicken for dinner, the recipes inside Chicken. It’s What’s for Dinner are exactly what you need!
You’ll enjoy mouth-watering juicy chicken, epic marinades to add flavor and simple family meals that will get devoured.
Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta Ingredients
Today, sun-dried tomatoes are the MVP of the recipe. These little guys give off some amazing and robust flavors that amp up any dish.
You’ll find sun-dried tomatoes on the shelf, somewhere up high between the canned tomatoes and the jarred pesto sauce. Make sure to get the sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. The oil keeps their flavor and juices intact and allows leftovers to be kept in the fridge for months.
Also, more juice = more flavor, and we want ALL THE FLAVOR.
Here’s everything you need to make this drool-worthy dinner a success.
- Penne pasta
- sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- chicken breasts, cubed
- Spanish paprika
- half & half
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
If you don’t already, I highly advise keeping a jar or two of sun dried tomatoes in the pantry. They go great in salads, on top of a pizza, blended into a dreamy pesto sauce, or whisked into this creamy pasta sauce!
How to Make Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
Let me tell you why you NEED this sun-dried tomato pasta recipe in your chicken dinner rotation.
This dish is pasta coated in a perfectly creamy sauce, this recipe is also one of my favorites because it’s made in ONE large skillet. Cleanup for this weeknight dinner couldn’t be easier.
You can also cut the recipe time in half by using a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Remove the meat, cut into bite-size pieces and toss into the cooked sauce prior to adding the pasta. So easy.
Ready to make this tasty dinner tonight? Here’s what you’ll do.
Cook pasta according to the directions on the package. Once cooked, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water an set aside.
Finelly chop the sun-dried tomatoes and season with salt and paprika.
Use oil from the sun-dried tomato’s jar to sauté chicken until fully browned on both sides.
To the same pan, add the sun-dred tomatoes and garlic and continue to sauté for an additional minute.
- Cream & simmer
Add half and half to the skillet stiring to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat stiring occastionaly.
Once a thick sun-dried tomato sauce has formed, add Italian seasoning and stir.
- Add the pasta
Place the cooked pasta in the skillet and combine with the sauce. Then pour ½ cup of the reserved pasta water and combine to thin the sauce.
Top with cheese and red pepper flakes and enjoy this fast and easy meal!
More of a visual learner? Watch this quick recipe video to see how it’s done.
Quick tip – double this recipe so you can pack sun-dried tomato pasta for lunch tomorrow using my easy meal prep tips. You won’t regret it.Print
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
Creamy, sun-dried tomato chicken pasta made in one skillet for a delicious, quick and EASY weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Skillet
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 4-ounce jar sundried tomatoes in oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 cup half & half or milk
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large pot, bring pasta water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Once cooked, reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain. Set the pasta aside.
- While the pasta cooks, on a cutting board, finely chop sun-dried tomatoes. Season chicken with salt and paprika.
- In a large 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat, heat up a tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato jar’s oil and sauté the chicken until it’s browned on both sides and cooked through.
- To the same pan, add the sun-dried tomato pieces and garlic, and sauté for an additional minute. Add half and half to the skillet and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to combine liquid and sundried tomatoes. Once a thick sauce is formed, add Italian seasoning and stir.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet and combine with sauce. Add ½ cup of the reserved water, mix throughout to thin out the sauce. If it’s too thick, add in the additional reserved pasta water. Mix to combine.
- Serve and sprinkle parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 317.8mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36.6 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 57.1mg
Keywords: sun-dried tomato chicken pasta