Some recipes are so simple to make that they leave you wondering: why didn’t I think of this before? These sweet potato tater tots recipe is one of them.
Two weeks ago, I was in New York doing a lunch demonstration at the Kids’ Food Festival —check out these carrot, hummus, avocado wraps!. After I finished the demonstration, a MOMables community member came to meet me and share some of her success recipes. In our conversation, she asked: have you ever made homemade tater tots? Me: no…. Her: It’s so easy!
So easy indeed. Just TWO ingredients. Just TWO! One of the better brands out there: Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil, Natural Cane Sugar, Cornstarch, Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, Tapioca Dextrin, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Spice, Salad Mustard (Distilled Vinegar, Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric, Paprika), Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid. That’s a long list!
Trisha, the awesome woman who emailed her recipe and technique, rolls hers into “tater tot shapes” by hand. Me? I use my handy cookie dough scooper and call it a day!
Of course, you can freeze these. Double your batch, scoop them onto a lined baking sheet and freeze. After an hour or so in the freezer, transfer them to a ziplock freezer bag.
The perfect thing to pair with these sweet potato tots? My copy cat Chick Fil A chicken nuggets. They are the closest thing to the original. Enjoy!
PS: I know I said “two ingredient” but salt… well, ¼ teaspoon doesn’t really “count” right? Depending how aged your Parmesan cheese is, you can omit it.
In case you are wondering how easy they really are to make, I’ve created a video just for you. Visuals always help, right?Print
Sweet Potato Tots
- Yield: 25-30 tots 1x
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for rolling tots in
- ¼ tsp salt
- Peel, cube, and measure 3 cups of sweet potatoes (about 3-4 sweet potatoes).
- Steam or boil sweet potatoes to the point where you can just put a fork through it but still too tough to eat. Drain (if boiling) sweet potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a food processor, pulse sweet potatoes and parmesan cheese a couple of times; just enough to break potatoes up. Transfer to a bowl and fold them in a couple of times. You want to have a chunky mashed texture just like tater tots.
- Form into small balls with a cookie scoop or with your hands and a spoon. Once formed, roll each tot on more parmesan cheese – just enough to lightly coat it.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, turning them at least once mid way through to cook evenly on al sides.
- Remove from oven, and serve.
To freeze: prepare tots and place them on a lined baking sheet. Freeze for an hour and transfer onto freezer bag. To cook again, just add a couple of minutes to the baking time.