Even if you don’t eat “meatless”, these tacos are perfect for those of us who are busy, need a budget-friendly meal, or are just looking for a simple recipe that will fill hungry bellies.
Butternut Squash & Chickpea Tacos
These Roasted Chickpea Tacos with Butternut Squash are one of the favorite meatless tacos in my Taco Tuesday Cookbook: flavorful, packed with nutrition and, this mom’s favorite part, they’re easy to make!
For this taco recipe, you’ll need to roast some chickpeas and butternut squash. I nearly always keep a few cans of chickpeas and other beans in my pantry as meal-starters and salad toppers. They are a terrific solution to that blank stare I sometimes give my pantry shelves, waiting for something to call out to me and say, “make me! Make me!”
Roasted chickpeas are an amazing snack on their own, but like most things, they’re even better tucked inside a taco! Add tender butternut squash, and crunchy cabbage, and you’ll know taco night will be epic!
This healthy taco recipe with roasted chickpea and butternut squash is all about tastiness and irresistible texture, thanks to fresh and real ingredients.
Check out what you need:
- Taco seasoning: it makes these tacos taste amazing. Make my homemade recipe or use store-bought seasoning.
- Lime juice: fresh is always better!
- Olive oil: for seasoning and golden brown texture.
- Water: to mix with the seasonings.
- Chickpeas: drained and rinsed.
- Butternut squash cubes: thawed if using frozen. If you don’t have butternut squash handy, cube and steam some potatoes or sweet potatoes; they’ll substitute just fine in this dish.
- Corn tortillas: your favorites!
- Red cabbage: finely chopped for tasty crunchiness.
- Jalapeño: to add some heat!
- Avocado: creamy, healthy and delicious!
- Chopped cilantro: a drizzle of freshness.
- Cilantro lime sauce: you’ll find my tasty homemade recipe below, but if you have another favorite dressing, you can use it too!
Remember to grab the ingredient measurements in the printable recipe card below.
How They’re Made
You know what’s a winner? How easy this recipe is to make. Season chickpeas and butternut squash, roast, assemble, and enjoy the most epic tacos!
Here’s the step-by-step:
- Prep the oven
Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine taco seasoning, lime juice, olive oil, and water. Add in chickpeas and squash cubes, toss to combine seasoning well.
Transfer seasoned chickpeas and squash to a lined baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally during cooking, until chickpeas are slightly crispy and squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Make the cilantro sauce
In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Taco o’clock!
Assemble tacos by placing a bed of cabbage, top with roasted chickpeas and squash, and drizzle cilantro lime sauce on top. Serve with additional lime wedges and enjoy!
Could it be any easier? Watch this quick video to check it out:
30-Day Meatless Plan
Get 4 weeks of kid-approved dinner recipes that are meat-free!
Whether you’re trying to eat healthier, looking to introduce your kids to more vegetables and flavors, or trying to reduce your grocery budget, this 30-day meatless meal plan is for you.
Serving Chickpea & Butternut Squash Tacos
Turn these incredible meatless tacos into a complete taco night feast by serving them with Spicy Guacamole, this delicious Corn and Black Bean Salsa, or enjoy them with all the goodness of this Chunky Avocado Salsa.
This Mexican Cauliflower Rice is another favorite taco side at my place, just like this Southwest Quinoa Salad that always satisfies cravings and fills bellies! Need something to drink? This delicious Pineapple Jalapeño Margarita is it!
Other Healthy Meatless Tacos
I know you won’t miss meat at all after trying these Roasted Chickpea Tacos with Butternut Squash and other epic recipes, like my Roasted Curried Cauliflower Tacos, these Poblano Pepper and Mushroom Tacos, and these mouthwatering Roasted Veggie Tacos with Black Beans. Yummy!
What are some of your favorite non-meat ingredients to use inside of a taco?
Fall in love with this recipe and the 51 others found in The Taco Tuesday Cookbook!
Butternut Squash and Chickpea Tacos
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes, thawed if using frozen
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed
- 1 large avocado, seed removed and diced
- Chopped cilantro
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ⅛ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep the tacos:
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine taco seasoning, lime juice, olive oil, and water. Add in chickpeas and squash cubes, toss to combine seasoning well.
- Transfer seasoned chickpeas and squash to a lined baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally during cooking, until chickpeas are slightly crispy and squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
Make the sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Assemble tacos by placing a bed of cabbage, top with roasted chickpeas and squash, and drizzle cilantro lime sauce on top. Serve with additional lime wedges.