June 17, 2022
When it comes to an easy and low-carb side dish, it doesn’t get much better than this Mexican Cauliflower Rice. Who knew that a rice substitute would taste this amazing and take on the flavors of the original so well?
The authentic taste of this easy cauliflower rice recipe makes it perfect to serve along with your favorite proteins and veggies on Taco night.
Best Mexican Riced Cauliflower
Authentic flavors and texture are what make this recipe the best Mexican riced cauliflower dish.
Riced cauliflower is a great way to add bulk to any meal, especially when you’re eating low-carb and miss things like traditional rice.
This recipe really shows how versatile cauliflower can be; since it really takes on any flavor you give it.
Even my kids love this recipe because they say that it’s “just like eating rice!” I have to agree that it’s very similar in texture and the ability to alter the flavor and taste. It’s one of my go-to low-carb side dishes!
Mexican Cauliflower Rice Ingredients
We’re not going to toss cauliflower rice and some spices and call it a day. No, we’re going to make an epic side dish; and to do that we need:
- head of cauliflower, riced, or bag riced cauliflower: having two options to make this makes it super simple.
- olive oil: used to cook up the peppers and other ingredients. You can also use coconut oil or avocado oil as well.
- onion: diced up small so it fits well with the texture and size of the cauliflower.
- jalapeño: this can be optional but great to add some spiciness.
- bell pepper: perfect for adding a pop of color and crunch.
- cloves garlic: minced garlic works perfectly, but garlic powder can be used as well.
- Roma tomatoes: these are my preferred tomatoes, but other varieties will work.
- cumin: excellent for creating a warm flavor.
- paprika: perfect for adding a smoky flavor.
- lime: a little bit of lime juice goes a long way.
- fresh cilantro: chop up and add on top or mix into your cauliflower rice mixture.
- avocado: fresh avocado is the perfect topping.
Fresh or Frozen Cauli Rice
You can use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice to make your favorite low-carb side dishes. Both perform great.
If you’re running short on time, using frozen cauliflower rice is a great option; just make sure to thaw it first and ring out any excess water before cooking it.
If you have a whole head of cauliflower, it’s super simple to rice it! Here is How to Make Cauliflower Rice Without a Food Processor as well as How to Make Cauliflower Rice in the Blender.
Both methods show you that it’s just a few easy steps to create cauli rice to use easily in this recipe.
How to Make Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Print the recipe card below and gather your ingredients to make this Mexican cauliflower rice quickly.
Here is what you’ll do:
- Rice the cauliflower
If using a head of cauliflower, rice it first.
- Cook the vegetables
Heat up a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, heat up the oil. Add the chopped onion, jalapeño, bell peppers and sauté for 3 minutes, until softened, then add garlic and chopped tomatoes and 2 minutes.
- Cook the cauliflower rice
To the skillet, add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine with the veggies. Add the cumin, paprika, and salt, and stir to combine the seasoning with the cauliflower rice while it cooks. Continue stirring while the cauliflower rice cooks down for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice
Turn off the heat and squeeze half a lime and mix to incorporate it into the cauliflower rice.
- Serve and enjoy
Serve hot garnished with additional cilantro, sliced avocado, and a slice of lime.
How Spicy is Mexican Cauli Rice?
Just like the traditional Mexican rice, this Mexican cauli rice is mild in flavor. That said, you can spice it up by adding extra jalapeños or swapping the smoked paprika for spicy paprika.
What to Serve with Mexican Cauliflower Rice
The good news is that this dish goes with just about anything! Some of my favorite pairings with this rice substitute are:
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head of cauliflower, riced or
- 16 oz bag riced cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color or a mix finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, divided
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced for serving
- If using a head of cauliflower, rice it first.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium heat, once hot, heat up the oil. Add the chopped onion, jalapeño, and bell peppers and sauté for 3 minutes, until softened, then add garlic and chopped tomatoes and 2 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine with the veggies. Add the cumin, paprika, and salt, and stir to combine the seasoning with the cauliflower rice while it cooks. Continue stirring while the cauliflower rice cooks down for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and squeeze half a lime and mix to incorporate it into the cauliflower rice.
- Serve hot garnished with additional cilantro, sliced avocado, and a slice of lime.