Jul 22, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Meet your new go-to dinner recipe: chicken fajita bowls! They’re easy to make and super fast to cook since the rotisserie chicken cuts out a lot of work, and assembling your bowl always feels fun.
If that’s not reason enough to make this delicious recipe, I’ll leave you with the thought that it’s packed with nutrition and also healthy.
Are Fajita Bowls Healthy?
Fajita bowls are a great way to enjoy a complete and balanced meal of carbohydrates, protein, and fats, all of which provide lots of protein, fiber, and plenty of vitamins from colorful veggies.
If you’re on a low-carb diet, you can swap the rice for cauliflower rice and reduce the carbohydrate content of your meal.
Related: Cauliflower Rice vs. Rice
Chicken Fajita Bowl Toppings
The best part of any bowl, outside that the chicken fajita tastes great, are the toppings, of course!
You can load them up with:
- Spicy guacamole
- Restaurant-style salsa
- Pico de Gallo
- Grated cheese
- Fried eggs (oh.yeah!)
- Chopped cilantro
- Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Sour cream
- Sliced Avocado
- Pineapple Salsa
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Making Epic Chicken Fajita Bowls
Since we’re starting with a rotisserie chicken, a lot of the cooking and prep has already been done for you! Here is what to do:
- Cook the rice
Cook the rice according to package directions. Alternatively, you can also make the base for your chicken fajita bowls with Spanish Cauliflower Rice.
- Prep the chicken
Remove the meat from the rotisserie chicken. Separate it into pieces or coarsely chop it into small pieces.
- Sauté the peppers and onions
In a large pan, heat up the oil. Add the onions and peppers and sauté for about 3 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the taco seasoning, and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken to the pan
To the peppers and onions, add the cooked chicken and combine it to heat it through. Add a tablespoon of water to create some steam in the pan, distribute the seasonings, and stir to combine.
Build a base for your chicken fajita bowls with some rice, top it with the chicken and peppers mixture and load up the toppings.
Fajita Chicken Burrito Bowl Meal Prep
The best part about these fajita chicken burrito bowls is that they are a great recipe to meal prep up to four days ahead of time.
This means that you can purchase a rotisserie chicken from the store, clean it and separate the meat, cook the onions and peppers, and assemble your meal prep bowls individually.
Refrigerate them, covered, for up to four days, and you’ll have a healthy meal on the go!
One tip is to pack sauces and ingredients you don’t want to heat up, like sour cream and guacamole, in separate small lidded containers.
Chicken Fajita Bowls with Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 ½ cups white rice
- 4-6 cups rotisserie chicken meat diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained, warmed
- Pico de Gallo or salsa
- 1 avocado sliced or guacamole
- Sour Cream
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Remove the meat from the rotisserie chicken. Separate it into pieces or coarsely chop it into small pieces.
- In a large pan, heat up the oil. Add the onions and peppers and sauté for about 3 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the taco seasoning, and stir to combine.
- To the peppers and onions, add the chicken and combine it to heat it through. Add a tablespoon of water to create some steam in the pan, distribute the seasonings, and stir to combine.
- Build a base for your chicken fajita bowls with some rice and top it with the chicken and peppers mixture, warmed black beans, and load up the toppings!
Leave a Reply