These crispy, cinnamon coated churro cups are easy to make and delicious to eat! These crispy cinnamon churro cups are the perfect vessel to hold this rich, creamy ice cream, brimming with thick swirls of sweet, sweet caramel. Every bite is simply, delicious.
One of my fondest memories as a little girl is with my cousin Leti and my uncle, Angel making churros in the afternoon. In winter, we’d dip our churros in hot chocolate, but in summer, we’d eat them alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
One smooth, cold spoonful would fill our mouth followed by a crispy bite of a hot sugared churro. The contrast of temperature and flavor would saturate anyone’s palate; so much so, that if I close my eyes and recall this memory, my mouth begins to water as I intensely remember the delight.
Imagine my surprise when I recently saw the idea of making churros and turning them into “cups” on social media. The idea and buzz video had gone viral, except, that making churro dough is quite a process, one that I would never share with you and call it “easy.”
Making churro dough requires you to make the dough over the stove, cool it, and then transfer it to the counter for kneading, transfer it into a piping bag and then shape it into cups. Great concept but not practical in real life.
As I showed my daughter the video she said, and I quote, “Mom, that looks amazing, so you HAVE to find an easy way to make churro cups -for meeeeeee!” Sigh.
So, I set my mind to create an easier way to deliver a similar experience, and thankfully, I thought of an old-one-but-a-good-one: using the puff pastry dough I always keep in my freezer for “emergencies” for the churro cups.
And this, my friend, is what my daughter called a “churro emergency” and I believe it will become your churro emergency as well; especially after you watch this quick video and see how they are made.
Few things go better together than the crisp cinnamon-sugar cup wrapping sweet caramel ice cream.
What you get is a crispy cinnamon churro cup on the outside and perfectly rich caramel ice cream on the inside… wow!
Easy Churro Ice Cream Cups
- Yield: 8 Churro Cups
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 17oz package puff pastry sheets, thawed
- Flour for dusting the counter surface
- 2 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Caramel Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 400F with the oven rack positioned in the middle of the oven. Flip a muffin pan upside down and place it on a baking sheet. Generously spray 8 of the muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon, set aside. In another bowl, whisk the egg and water and set aside.
- Unfold pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheets into 14×10-inch rectangles (depending on your work space, you might have to do this one at a time). Lightly brush the tops of the pastry sheets with some of the egg mixture, and sprinkle half of the sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Fold over one half over the other, egg side down so the cinnamon is sandwiched inside.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to press down the cinnamon mixture into the dough and add about 2-inches to the length of the dough. Cut ten thin strips of dough lengthwise with a pizza cutter. Cut two of the strips into 2-inch small strips for the bottom of the cups.
- Place two of the strips over the top of eight muffin cups. For the sides, cover each cup, beginning at the bottom, with a thin cinnamon strip, spiraling up, until the entire muffin cup is covered. Using your hands, press the dough down against the muffin tip to give it a firm shape. Brush dough with egg wash and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 22 minutes until the tops and edges are golden and crispy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and lightly brush melted butter over the cups and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture. Allow churro cups to cool down to room temperature.
- Once churro cups have cooled, remove from muffin pan, scoop a generous scoop of Dryer’s Slow Churned Caramel Delight Ice Cream into the cup and drizzle with a little caramel syrup.
Edy’s Ice Cream on top of apple crumble!! My favorite kind of comfort snack.
i think my new favorite way will be in these churro cups! currently though i love a big bowl of ice cream unadorned (especially with caramel, etc. already added in) or in a waffle or sugar cone.
I agree with the mom that said at 11 pm when everyone is asleep.
I also like to make affagatos with my ice cream – so scoop of ice cream with a shot of espresso. The caramel would be delightful.
In my part of the US Edy’s is called Dreyer’s and is my FAVORITE ice cream. I can’t say I have tried this particular favorite but I do LOVE caramel. Honestly, it really doesn’t matter how I eat it, as long as I eat it. Ice cream is my top favorite dessert, followed closely by anything cinnamon. So this recipe is all happiness for me.
My favorite way is with sliced bananas and crushed roasted peanuts! 🙂
MY favorite way to enjoy Edy’s Slow Churned Light Caramel Delight Ice Cream is with apple pie!
I love this flavor almost any way, but especially in turtle sundaes
We have always loved enjoying our ice cream in waffle bowls with extra Carmel on top 🙂 now can’t wait to try this recipe!!
Edy’s Slow Churned Caramel Delight Light Ice Cream is my family’s favorite! Their flavors are awesome! (Also love the Apple Pie flavor)
Edy’s ice cream is delicious! My family loves Edy’s Slow Churned Caramel Delight Light Ice Cream in a bowl with extra caramel on top.
YES YES YES. I love churros and have been looking for a delicious and easy recipe. Thanks!!!
Edy’s vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries & whipped cream on top. Nothing beats that!
We LOVE Edy’s ice cream with really anything. It’s so delicious
My all time favorite: Ice cream on top of a chocolate brownie and some whipped cream
I make French crepes and top it with ice cream and fresh fruit.
Wow! I love churros. Tried my first ones in Spain a couple of years ago.
These look great. Didn’t know you could make them with puff pastry!
I have never tried Edy’s Slow Churned Light Caramel Delight Ice Cream. This recipe looks like a great way to try it! But I do love Edy’s in a bowl with my hubby.
You are the winner of the ice cream pack.
Look for an email from me, [email protected] for more information.:)
Thank you for sharing this recipe. Looks yummy and my little ones would love to help make them. My little ones love ice cream In a cone or bowl topped with a little whipped topping (from the spray can), but first we have to spray it into their mouths.
We love to eat ice cream like this on waffles!