It’s lunchtime, and all you want is a crunchy and delicious salad. But you want something handheld, like a burrito, because forks can be a nuisance when you are really hungry and want to stuff your face with delicious food.
Naturally, the best lunch option for this type of situation is this recipe for Asian Chicken Salad Wraps, the best of both worlds!
By now, you probably know that I’m serious about lunch. Most of my lunches are prepped ahead of time and consist of leftovers from dinner or a salad.
Now, when I say “salad” I mean a lot of toppings with a little lettuce -take a look at my Instagram highlighted Office Lunch story, it’s salads and prepped lunches for days.
For me, salads are the ultimate food for lunch. They are super easy to prep ahead, and I can always turn them into a wrap for a more substantial meal (or “man meal” for my husband).
Salads like this Asian Chicken Salad, full of veggies and protein, provide the right balance I need for a mid-day refuel. Did I mention that making this salad is easy and you can make it ahead of time and keep in the fridge for a few days? Oh yeah. Take a look at how easy it is to make.
Other salads I love turning into a wrap are my Santa Fe Chicken Salad, Shrimp and Tomato Salad with a little romaine lettuce, Greek Panzanella, for example. Sometimes, I like turning my Cobb Salad Bar into a wrap bar, and everyone is happy!
With a crunchy salad like this inside a wrap, you’ll be #winning for lunch!
Ok, so back to this Asian Chicken Salad. I got sidetracked for a minute. It’s one of my favorites because of the sweetness of the mandarin oranges. It’s full of texture with shredded carrots, slivered almonds, lots of cabbage. You can make it vegetarian but I like that the chicken adds protein, so overall it’s a complete meal.
And the homemade Asian dressing? Oh.my.gosh. As you saw from the video, it’s very easy to make, and it keeps in the fridge for a week or two. However, it never lasts that long at my house since after a few days I use it as a marinade for chicken or salmon.
What do you think? Do you like Asian style salads?
Asian Chicken Salad Lettuce Cups
Need an easy recipe that transforms your favorite Asian Chicken salad into a healthy lunch? Check out these lettuce cups holding the most delicious healthy Asian salad. This gluten-free lunch idea is terrific and leftovers taste so good!
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken, chopped
- 10.5-ounce can No Sugar Added mandarin oranges,
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup purple cabbage, finely shredded or chopped
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large Bibb lettuce
Sesame Ginger Dressing
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, mandarin oranges, celery, carrots, cabbage, almonds, green onions, salt and pepper. Add in ½ cup of dressing and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate dressing for up to 1 week.
- To serve, place 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup chicken salad inside a few lettuce leaves. Fold in the sides, roll to eat.
- In a large bowl, combine dressing ingredients with a whisk. Transfer to a glass jar and refrigerate up to 1 week. Dressing recipe yields approximately 1 cup.
- Serving Size: 1 lettuc cup
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 1001.3mg
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40.7g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 16.1g
- Cholesterol: 38.6mg