This recipe yields A TON of flavor and goodness effortlessly! Keep reading to learn how to make this jaw-dropping meal and save time on busy weeknight dinners.
Best Baked Sweet Potatoes Stuffed With Buffalo Chicken
The spicy and smoky sauce. The savory-sweet combo… where do I even begin? I can’t think of a more satisfying and healthy meal that tastes like this stuffed sweet potato! It has all the delicious Buffalo chicken flavors minus the guilt and is a total crowd-pleaser.
Chances are you’ve tried loaded baked potatoes, but what about loaded sweet potatoes? The combination of taco toppings over a perfectly baked sweet potato is still one of my favorites.
For this recipe the tangy and spicy Buffalo sauce offsets the sweetness of the potato. Plus they’re packed with nutrients like beta carotene and fiber!
Perhaps, we’ll start with why YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS ASAP!
- The chicken is cooked in the slow cooker. #easychickendinner
- Sweet potatoes are super good for you
- Because, BUFFALO CHICKEN!
I think that covers everything. Just kidding, this isn’t over until you try this for yourself. Until then, I’m going to sweet talk this loaded sweet potato recipe into your dinner plans.
Thanks to my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken recipe and pre-baked sweet potatoes, this meal comes together in a matter of minutes! They’re one of the easiest ingredients to cook with and make a super satisfying side dish or stand-alone meal.
Here’s everything you need for these baked sweet potatoes:
- Chicken breasts: no time to make slow cooker buffalo chicken? Shred a rotisserie chicken and toss it with Buffalo sauce.
- Buffalo sauce: store-bought or homemade.
- Sweet potatoes: check this post to learn three ways to cook potatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Olive oil: for seasoning the sweet potatoes.
- Ranch dressing: your favorite Ranch dressing or my easy homemade version.
- Blue cheese crumbles: a terrific topping!
- Green onions: optional for a slight crunchiness.
You’ll find the measurements in the recipe card below.
How to Make a Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato
It’s delicious, it’s crave-worthy, and it’s SO SO SO easy to make! While the chicken cooks in the slow cooker, bake the potatoes, and 5 minutes before serving, set out the toppings. Easy peasy!
Are you ready to give this a go? Good! Let’s make this!
- Cook the buffalo chicken
Place the chicken in the dish of a slow cooker, top with Buffalo sauce and toss to coat. Cover and set on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours. If using rotisserie chicken, jump to the next step.
- Shred the chicken
Once the chicken is cooked through and easily shreds apart between two forks, shred the chicken breasts and toss to coat it with the sauce.
- Prep the sweet potatoes
Whether you want an oven-baked potato or you need one in 5 minutes, both are an option! For the traditional method, preheat your oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Gently give the sweet potatoes a good scrub with warm water to remove any debris or dirt and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Bake the sweet potatoes
Using a fork, prick the skin of each potato and rub them with olive oil. Place the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the center is cooked through and pierces easily with a fork. Remove the potatoes from the oven.
- Top with Buffalo chicken
After the sweet potato is baked and slightly cooled, cut it lengthwise down the center and “open”. Use a fork to gently break up the center before topping with the buffalo chicken.
- Load it up!
Slice the cooked sweet potatoes lengthwise, open, and lightly “fluff” the inside with a fork. Top with slow cooker Buffalo chicken, Blue cheese crumbles, Ranch dressing, and chopped green onions.
Want to start drooling? Check out the recipe video:
Tips to save time
The oven and the slow cooker make all the hard work in this Buffalo Chicken Baked Sweet Potato recipe, but maybe you need to prep this meal faster. No problem! Check these tips to save time:
Use cooked chicken
If you’re down to make this recipe for dinner and don’t have time to make slow cooker buffalo chicken, you can use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat and toss it with ½ cup buffalo sauce.
Meal prep chicken
You can cook buffalo chicken ahead and store it in the fridge or freeze it to use it up for this recipe and your favorite buffalo chicken meals, like buffalo chicken tacos, quesadillas, and low-carb power bowl.
Prep sauces ahead
Of course, you can use store-bought buffalo sauce and Ranch dressing, but the homemade versions are worth trying! You can make them ahead in 5 minutes and store them in the fridge to drizzle over your salads and tacos. Just make sure there’s enough left for these sweet baked potatoes!
Cook sweet potatoes quicker
Oven-baking potatoes take about 45 minutes, but you can shorten the time by cooking the sweet potatoes in the air fryer in 35 minutes, using an instant pot in 25 minutes, or the quickest method: the microwave! While potatoes won’t turn out as crispy as baked, they’ll be ready to load in about 10 minutes.
Check out this video for 3 easy ways to make the perfect baked potato (or sweet potato).
Baked Sweet Potato Toppings
Just like regular white potatoes, you can top sweet potatoes with anything you like. I’ll often use baked potatoes to make a self-serve bar for dinner and provide a variety of toppings, like this Taco Loaded Sweet Potato bar.
I know most people are Blue cheese or Ranch only fans when it comes to Buffalo chicken, but I love both equally, and they pair deliciously over a baked sweet potato.
You can even choose to go the sweet route and top with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon or peanut butter- delish!
What Else to Serve with this Recipe
These Buffalo Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes also pair amazingly well with all kinds of roasted veggies, like this Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower. I love serving them with Caramelized Brussels sprouts & Bacon or Garlic Parmesan Green Beans as well. Soooo good!
Baked Sweet Potatoes Stuffed With Buffalo Chicken
For the Buffalo Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts , about 1lb
- ¾ cup Buffalo sauce
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Ranch dressing
- Blue cheese crumbles
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional)
Make the buffalo chicken:
- Place the chicken in the dish of a slow cooker, top with Buffalo sauce and toss to coat. Cover and set on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and easily shreds apart between two forks, shred the chicken breasts and toss to coat it with the sauce.
Bake the sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Gently give the sweet potatoes a good scrub with warm water to remove any debris or dirt and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Using a fork, prick the skin of each potato and rub them with olive oil. Place the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the center is cooked through and pierces easily with a fork. Remove the potatoes from the oven.
- Slice each baked sweet potato lengthwise. Open and use a fork to separate the sweet potato meat from the skin. Fluff with a fork and make the opening wide.
- Top the sweet potato with a generous amount of cooked buffalo chicken, drizzle with Ranch dressing, blue cheese crumbles, and sliced green onions (if using).