October 25, 2018
If you’re still trying to figure out what recipe to make for dinner this week, make sure to add this Spinach Tortellini recipe. It’s a 20-minute dinner from start to finish!
When I say that this meal comes together super fast, you’ve got to see this happen. Because quite frankly, this is one of those restaurant-style dishes that is super easy to make at home.
On weeknights when I know we’ll be home late this Spinach & Tomato Tortellini is an easy go-to recipe. This cheesy pasta is so flavorful and delicious, and it’s all made in one skillet.
Added bonus, this is a meatless recipe that kids love.
If you are looking for more family-friendly vegetarian recipes like this one check out the 30-day Meatless Meal Plan.
In it, I share 4 weeks worth of recipes that have been kid-approved and loved by my own family for years.
30-Day Meatless Plan
Get 4 weeks of kid-approved dinner recipes that are meat-free!
Whether you’re trying to eat healthier, looking to introduce your kids to more vegetables and flavors, or trying to reduce your grocery budget, this 30-day meatless meal plan is for you.
Spinach Tortellini Ingredients
A wonderful meal doesn’t take a lot of ingredients or fancy kitchen equipment, more like simple and fresh food prepared with your most basic cooking methods.
In this case, it’s pre-made tortellini, chopped spinach, garlic, canned tomatoes, with half n’ half, seasonings, and grated Parmesan cheese.
All ingredients I have in my pantry and fridge. If you’re wondering, who keeps tortellini in their fridge at all times? Me! Here’s what you need:
- Tortellini: I use cheese tortellini, but you can use your favorite ones, refrigerated or frozen.
- Olive oil: to cook the garlic.
- Garlic: this tasty aromatic makes a great start for the sauce.
- Tomatoes: for this recipe, I use petite diced tomatoes.
- Spinach: even picky eaters enjoy spinach when is tossed with this delicious pasta!
- Italian seasoning: a great mix of herbs to add more flavor.
- Salt and pepper: for seasoning.
- Half and half: to make this pasta super creamy.
- Parmesan cheese: what is pasta without cheese?
Tortellini is the perfect meal-building ingredient for busy weeknights –like in this recipe Tomato and Tortellini Soup! And, they are great for a quick and easy lunch when you have no bread left.
Now one tool every kitchen cook needs is a good stainless skillet, it makes recipes like this one possible. I love the stainless-steel option because it’s perfect for browning, sautéing, and can go from stove-top to oven.
Some of my family’s favorite quick dinner ideas come from a single skillet, and that means fewer dishes to wash. This is what I call #winning.
How to Make Spinach Tortellini
I’ve been telling you how easy this one-skillet meal is to make, so let me break it down. Watch how it’s done in this recipe video and then I’ll give you the step-by-step below.
Follow the package directions on the tortellini to get ready to make this epic dinner.
Cook the garlic in the bottom of the pan until fragrant.
Add tomatoes, spinach, seasoning to the pan and stir until spinach has wilted.
Pour in half and half and Parmesan cheese and cook, whisking constantly until a thick sauce forms.
Add the tortellini to the sauce, toss to combine and serve!
But back to tortellini, the real reason you’re here. As stated before, I use the refrigerated cheese tortellini but you can use the frozen ones, just make sure to cook it according to package directions before tossing it into the cream sauce.
What to Serve with Spinach & Tomato Tortellini
This epic dinner is packed with nutrition and you can make it even healthier! A simple side salad or these spicy green beans are perfect for adding crunchiness. You can also pair this spinach tortellini with this easy steamed broccolini or build a complete meal by baking salmon in the oven while you cook the pasta!
Skillet Spinach Tortellini
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the tortellini according to the package directions, drain, and rinse.
- Heat the oil in the bottom of the large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute, careful not to burn it.
- Stir in the tomatoes, spinach, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in half and half and Parmesan cheese, stir and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tortellini to the sauce and gently toss to combine.