October 25, 2019
You know that feeling when your sweet tooth is driving you crazy, but you still want to keep your health goals on track?
OR maybe, you want a special treat or dessert without the guilt? I’ve totally been there. In fact, I’m there several times a week, which is why I like to keep this list of healthy treats handy.
These recipes taste indulgent, but they’re also good for you, and each one is made with real ingredients. YES, those treats we should all be enjoying! So pull up a chair, grab your coffee and let’s make our way into the chocolatey, chewy, sweet world of crave-worthy healthy treats.
The Best Things to Eat When You are Craving Sweets
When a craving for sweets hits and you know that fruit, nuts or Greek yogurt aren’t going to cut it – these are the recipes for you. Moist, chocolate cake, fresh-baked cookies, and so much more.
Living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean you have to cover up your cravings, you can eat a fresh, whole-food diet and have your cake too.
It’s all about balance.
So acknowledge the craving and then do something about it with one of these healthy treat recipes. Some recipes include chocolate, while others are fresh baked cookies, no-bakes, and cold blended treats. One thing they all have in common- they are made with real, clean ingredients!
I told you you were going to love this, let’s get to the good stuff!
Clean Treats Cookbook
Healthy and wholesome dessert recipes you’ll want to eat made with clean ingredients you already have on hand.
Grab your copy today!
Types of Healthy Treats
Cake, cookies, brownies, bites, ice cream, shakes- if it’s sweet and you love it, 95% of the time, you can make it into a healthier version with the right ingredients. The other 5% are Apple Fritters and cookie cake; those should be enjoyed as is.
Here are some ingredient swaps I use to make drool-worthy, healthy treats:
- Instead of Sugar
Honey, agave nectar, maple syrup, dates, and coconut sugar.
- Instead of regular flour
Oat flour, almond flour, or whole wheat flour
- Instead of vegetable oil or butter
Coconut oil, peanut or almond butter, and sometimes, pumpkin pureé.
You can see my full list of ingredient swaps for baking here if you really want to get swap happy!
Now, time for the treats.
Smoothie bowls are a lot thicker than the standard smoothie in a glass, thus the reason they’re best enjoyed from a bowl and eaten with a spoon. It’s a much more satisfying experience and encourages delicious toppings like sliced fruit, chopped chocolate, coconut flakes, and granola. Overall, smoothies and smoothie bowls make a healthy treat that satisfies a sweet tooth and gives ample nutrition.
If you’ve never made one before, I’ll show you how to make a smoothie bowl in this post and video. Then, you can jump right in to these recipes.
When you need something sweet, but only want a little taste, say hello to bite-size treats! They’re packed with all the good things and keep for up to a week in the fridge, so grab 1 or 2 of these bites for a quick treat.
Homemade Healthy Bars
Drop those pre-packaged bars and brownies and make one of these recipes. They taste like a treat but are made with real ingredients so that you can get your sweet fix without the guilt.
Healthy Frozen Treats
Who can live without ice cream, popsicles, and slushies? These recipes bring out the very best of our favorite frozen treats, minus the excessive sugar and artificial flavorings. Check them out:
Want something soft, chewy, and warm? It sounds like you could use a cookie, and these recipes are a great place to start. They aren’t heavy on the sugar, and most are made with oats instead of flour. In other words, they double as a healthy breakfast AND treat.
Kid-Friendly Healthy Treats
Each of the recipes above was designed and made with kids in mind. When it comes to sweets, I know if my kids won’t eat it, it’s probably not good, which in most cases for healthy, “store-bought” treats.
Making homemade versions gives you the right to change and swap ingredients to your family’s taste. The recipes also yield enough for me to pack into snack boxes so they can take along to school or you can take with you to the office.
Ready to start making the best healthy treats ever? Let’s start with this recipe for homemade pineapple whip.
Best Healthy Treats | Chocolate, Bars, Bites, Cookies & More!
Healthy Pineapple Whip
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a blender, combine the pineapple, coconut milk, and honey. Blend until smooth, turn the power to high and blend for an additional minute.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan for 4 to 6 hours or until frozen, stirring every 30 minutes to break up and ice crystals. Use an ice cream scoop to serve.