When it’s Taco Tuesday and you’re short on time these skillet beef tacos come together in a flash. This cheesy taco recipe is easy and full of flavor in every bite.
Check out the video to see how this recipe is made:
It might not be the typical taco recipe you’d find in the Taco Tuesday Cookbook but it’s meaty and cheesy, and my family absolutely loves it. If you aren’t following along already, go ahead and do yourself a major favor and subscribe to my Youtube channel as we celebrate Taco Tuesday all year long! Yes, that means 52 taco recipes.
How are Skillet Beef Tacos Different Than Regular Beef Tacos?
With this version of beef tacos, the flavors get a chance to mingle and the cheese melts through making this meal an instant favorite. It also has a secret ingredient, spinach! By cooking your spinach into the meat and covering with cheese, it adds a little “extra” nutrition to an otherwise normal meal.
It’s also a lifesaver when you plan on Taco Tuesday but forgot the tortillas… how do you think I came up with this meal the first time?
Best Cut of Beef to Use for Tacos
Why These Beef Tacos Make a Quicker Weeknight Meal
Since it comes together in a single skillet, I typically serve it straight from the skillet at the table. Everyone loves to dig in right from the pan –family style.
For me, as a busy mom, the biggest winner of the dish isn’t just that my family loves it, but the simplicity and how quickly it comes together. And dishes? Well, it’s just a skillet and whatever we eat on. Easiest clean up ever!
Best Ground Beef Taco Recipe
Easy, simple, meaty, cheesy, do I dare to call it the best ground beef taco recipe?
I’ll leave it up to you but all I know is I love having a versatile meal that everyone in the family loves. It’s the best part of a taco, the filling, in one skillet! You can serve it on a bed of tortilla chips or for a lighter version, salad greens just make sure to pile on the toppings!
Favorite Toppings for Skillet Beef Tacos
I’m a sucker for the classic Beef Taco toppings like:
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Black olives
Other Beef Taco Recipes I Love
I’ve got taco recipes for the whole year waiting for you in the Taco Tuesday Cookbook and while each are easy and delicious I do have my favorites.
Korean Beef Tacos and Quick Carne Asada are both made in the one skillet and always a crowd pleaser but the Mexican Short Rib Tacos, these babies are killer! Cooked in the slow cooker, the meat just falls off the bone and melts my heart.
Which Beef taco recipe are you trying next?
Cheesy Beef Tacos in a Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 2 bell peppers, any color, diced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning,
- 1 ½ cups fresh salsa
- 3 cups baby spinach, pre-washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheese, Mexican blend, Cheddar or Monterrey Jack
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Corn chips , optional
- sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat warm up oil. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes until soft. Add the ground meat, diced bell peppers and taco seasonig and cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, for about 5-7 minutes until it’s cooked through.
- Add fresh salsa and spinach, stir to combine and heat through. Turn off heat, sprinkle shredded cheese and black olives over meat mixture. Cover, and gather remaining garnishing ingredients.
- Create a bed of shredded Romaine lettuce on a plate, scoop a serving of the mixture, top with desired toppings and serve.