For nights where the family expects Taco Tuesday to happen, but you want it all to come together in a single skillet, this cheesy taco skillet recipe will become your new family’s favorite.
This is the kind of meal that brings the family back to the kitchen for comfort food. What’s not to love about enjoying a little flavorful, cheesy goodness in every bite?
It’s meaty and cheesy, and my kids absolutely love it. So what makes this taco dish so different than all my other taco meals? By making this in the skillet, all the flavors mingle and the cheese melts through making this meal an instant favorite. It also has a secret ingredient, spinach! By cooking your spinach into the meat and covering with cheese, it adds a little “extra” nutrition to an otherwise normal meal.
Although it comes together in a single skillet, I typically serve it family style at the table. Everyone loves to dig in right from the pan –family style.
For me, as a busy cook, the biggest winner of the dish isn’t that my family loves it, but the simplicity and how quickly it comes together. Check out this video to see how this recipe made.
What would be your favorite meal to make in a skillet?
Cheesy Taco Skillet
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 2 bell peppers, any color, diced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (here is my homemade recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh salsa
- 3 cups baby spinach, pre-washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese, like Mexican blend, Cheddar or Monterrey Jack
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Avocado, sour cream, and additional salsa for serving
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Corn chips for serving, optional
- On a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm up oil. Add chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes until it begins to soften. Add meat, diced bell peppers, and taco seasoning. Continue to cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, for about 5-7 minutes until it’s cooked through.
- Add fresh salsa and spinach, stir to combine and heat through. Turn off heat, sprinkle shredded cheese and black olives over meat mixture. Cover, and gather remaining garnishing ingredients.
- Create a bed of shredded Romaine lettuce on a
pate, scoop a serving of the mixture, top with desired toppings and serve.