I love the versatility of recipes like my Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas, where one meal can be presented in a variety of ways. With that particular recipe, of course, serving the pork carnitas as tacos were the most obvious way, and today I’m excited to share another fun version.
Making these delicious carnitas in the slow cooker is super simple; and of course, I have a quick video for you to make your Taco Tuesday more awesome!
Just by browsing my YouTube Channel, you’ll see that there are other lettuce cup recipes you’ll simply won’t be able to resist. By the way, if you are not subscribed to my channel, you should, it’s free, and a new recipe video comes out every single week!
And then, there are the toppings. Tacos and lettuce cups are the equivalent of pizza toppings but cold. My favorite thing to add is avocado slices or fresh guacamole. Some days that’s all I add, a large scoop of guacamole and call it a day; others, I pile it all on, some quick blender salsa, a little shredded Monterrey jack cheese, a dab of sour cream, some extra lime and a little cilantro-which goes a long way.
What I love about the pork carnitas recipe is that one batch goes a long way. You can use leftovers in many ways, over salads, reinvented into a quick vegetable hash, or even into a sandwich on your favorite roll or hoagie!
If you love tacos, check out all my other taco recipes on this blog. Many are from my cookbook, The Taco Tuesday Cookbook!
What is your favorite thing to eat inside a lettuce cup?
Pork Carnitas Lettuce Cups
This recipe is one of 50 recipes inside the Taco Tuesday Cookbook!
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 orange, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fresh corn tortillas
- Fresh bib lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, cilantro, salsa, guacamole or avocado slices and sour cream for serving
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder roast with a paper towel. Salt and pepper liberally.
- In a small dish, combine the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and olive oil and rub all over the shoulder roast. Place pork roast inside the slow cooker. Toss in onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Squeeze orange halves into the slow cooker and add them in. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from the slow cooker onto a large cutting board and allow meat to cool down slightly prior to pulling apart with two forks.
- Assemble tortillas and other toppings.
- At this time, you can serve pulled pork roast onto tortillas or heat up vegetable oil in a large pan and sauté carnitas in the oil until some of the edges are crusty. Serve over tortillas and garnish with favorite toppings.