To all my fellow moms, this Pizza Chicken is everything you’ve been waiting for. It has all the goodness of cheesy pizza without the carbs and is made in one skillet!
Writing about this dish wasn’t enough, I HAD to make a video and it’s totally worth watching:
Why Pizza Chicken is a favorite kid-approved dinner
If you’re eating low carb but running out of meal ideas and don’t know what to make for dinner tonight, this Pizza Chicken is the answer. After many years of cooking for kids, I’ve learned that nearly every kid will eat two things: pizza and chicken. This recipe combines both and is made in one skillet. It’s a dream come true!
It’s one dish everyone in my families enjoys so I made sure to include it in our latest version of the Family Kickstart. Families LOVED IT!
How to make Pizza Chicken Healthier
Pizza Chicken is already a healthy meal and here are a few tricks that I used to lighten up the recipe:
Tomato sauce can be tricky and you’d be surprised to know how much sugar is in your typical jar of tomato sauce. That’s why I like to make my own or purchase one that has no added sugar. See how to make your own tomato sauce here.
I use a nitrate free pepperoni, we like this one best because they offer regular and turkey pepperoni options made with no antibiotics or fake stuff.
I don’t like to scrimp on the cheese but if you wish, you could reduce the amount by half. You’ll still get some melted cheese action in each bite.
Is Pizza Chicken Low Carb?
Since we replace pizza crust with baked chicken breasts, this recipe is low on the carbs and keto friendly but still packs that cheesy pizza flavor! The kids love it and us adults can enjoy it guilt-free, everybody wins here!
This recipe also proves you can make healthy meals that kids will love by recreating their favorite foods. In this case, it’s pizza.
We’ve already done it with egg roll in a bowl, cauliflower shrimp fried rice, and healthy nachos!
If you’re looking for more healthy family meal ideas I’ve got a complete list here. You’ll also find those and much more in the Family Kickstart. It’s a 4-week guide with recipes, completed shopping lists, and prep guide to help families replace the processed junk with real food meals. It makes eating healthy with the family a lot easier.
How Long Will Pizza Chicken Last?
Same as other cooked chicken recipes, Pizza Chicken will last up to three days in the fridge after being cooked. Any longer than that and you’ll need to freeze it. Which is a really great idea because this would make an awesome lunch or leftover dinner.
As far as toppings go, I’ll leave that up to you! Dress it like your favorite pizza or keep it simple with only the basics.
Have you tried any new low carb recipes lately? What’s been your favorites so far?
Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: skillet meals
- Cuisine: Itallian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella or Provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoni
- 4 ounce can black olives, optional
- Chopped parsley/oregano, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large, oven-safe skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breast and sear for 2 minutes per side, until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Remove the pan from heat and add 1 cup marinara sauce. Spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan. Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, top with reaming sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and black olives, if using.
- Place back into the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and pepperoni slightly browned.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 337
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 982.3mg
- Fat: 15.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 38.6g
Keywords: pizza chicken, low carb meals, dinner ideas